Update on 11/19: PTR 2.7.2 testing has ended. Thank you all for your contributions and support. See you next season!
Update on 11/18: PTR 2.7.2 duration has been updated. Please see the link here for additional information.
Update on 11/12: PTR 2.7.2 has been updated. Please see below for changes and “Developer Note” annotations in RED
Our two-week PTR testing period for the 2.7.2 update begins November 4 and we’re asking for your help to quell the tides of surging demons. Take a look at the preliminary patch notes below and start theorycrafting how you’ll make the most of the Soul Shard system and item balance changes; Patch 2.7.2 PTR will be arriving soon.
Table of Contents
- PTR Focus Details
- Patch Notes
- Bug Fixes
- How to Participate in PTR
- PTR Character Copy
Please note that this is a preview for PTR content, which is subject to change.
PTR Focus & Details
We’ll be conducting the Patch 2.7.2 PTR starting Thursday, November 4. During this time there may be periodic maintenances, outages, hotfixes, or minor patches.
- There will be three PTR-unique buffs active to help you on your journey: increased Legendary drop rate, increased experience gains, and double Blood Shard drops. You can also buy new gear for testing from the special PTR vendor, Djank Mi’em, who will exchange Blood Shards for class-specific bags full of Legendary items that we’d love for you to test!
- Class and Balance Changes: To ensure that the most significant class changes receive an ample amount of attention, we’d love for you to focus testing and feedback on the set changes to the Witch Doctor, Barbarian, Necromancer, Wizard and Demon Hunter.
- New Season Theme Testing: We’re looking to gather feedback on the seasonal theme content featuring Soul Shards.
So that we can efficiently review your posts, feedback should be provided in the PTR Feedback forum while bug reports should be provided in the PTR Bug Report forum.
PTR Testing Tips
As with our previous PTRs, this testing period is short, so it’s best to hit the ground running. Whether you’re a PTR veteran or newcomer, we thought we’d pass along a few tips to get you started.
- Because of the limited duration of this PTR, we ask that participants pick a particular portion of this update to focus on testing.
- For example, if you’re primarily a Wizard player, consider what changes impact the Wizard specifically. What you like best, what you think may still need adjustment, and what you’d want to see in the future (even if that may be beyond the scope of this patch) are all good questions to ask yourself.
- Try to break things! Just tell us when you do so we can make sure that the patch launch is as smooth as possible.
- When providing feedback, focus less on a solution and more on your experience. How did the changes make you feel? Was there something “off” that you noticed? Did something seem wrong or insufficient? Suggestions are always welcome but identifying the issues themselves is most important.
Below you will find the patch notes for the upcoming update for Diablo III, Patch 2.7.2.
Table of Contents:
New Season Theme: Season 25 introduces a new type of socketable item called Soul Shards. Nephalem can find 7 unique Soul Shards, based on the Lords of Hell, which give players demonic new powers. One of 3 Prime Evil Soul Shards can be equipped into Helms and one of 4 Lesser Evil Soul Shards can be equipped into Weapons. Each Soul Shard can be upgraded three times using a new seasonal-exclusive consumable, the Hellforge Ember.
Soul Shards and Hellforge Embers can drop from anywhere in Sanctuary, but Soul Shards have a higher chance to drop from Bosses. Soul Shards cannot be traded, but can be salvaged or utilized in Caldesann’s Despair. You may only equip one Prime Evil Soul Shard and one Lesser Evil Soul Shard at a time. Lastly, Soul Shards and Hellforge Embers only drop in Seasonal play, and will not transfer to your non-seasonal character when the season ends.
Developer’s Note: With the upcoming 25th Anniversary of the Diablo Franchise, we wanted players to delve into the darker side of the Nephalem’s past. In Season 25, players can embrace evil by infusing themselves with the essences of the Lords of Hell. Players will embark on their Season Journey to discover and upgrade demonic Soul Shards based on the seven Lords of Hell. By embodying a Prime and Lesser Evil, players will inflict new forms of pain and suffering on the demons of Sanctuary. We can’t wait for players to get their hands on Soul Shards to start unlocking their true power.
- Fixed a bug where Rank 2 Soul Shard affixes values could sometimes change after being socketed.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to equip 2 Lesser Soul Shards.
- Updated the possible range of All Resistance on Rank 2 upgrades to 55-62.
- Updated the possible range of Armor on Rank 2 upgrades to 375-390.
Developer’s Note 11/12: In addition to fixing several bugs that resulted in some Soul Shards powers being much more powerful than intended, we’ve redesigned and balanced several Soul Shards to give more competitive options when choosing the right Soul Shard for a wider range of builds.
Sliver of Terror
- Updated Sliver of Terror base power: “Your cooldowns are increased by 25%. For every skill on cooldown, you take 12.5% reduced damage and deal 25% increased damage.”
- Reduced the power of Sliver of Terror’s Rank 3 upgrade Ring of Fire effect and increased the required kills to 100 to proc.
Fragment of Destruction
- Added Fragment of Destruction Rank 3 upgrade: “When you apply Mark of Destruction to an enemy, you increase your movement speed by 5% for 7 seconds. Max 10 Stacks.”
- Removed Fragment of Destruction Rank 3 upgrade: “Increase the duration of the Mark of Destruction to 10 seconds.”
Stain of Sin
- Updated Stain of Sin base power: “You deal 25% less damage. When you kill 50 enemies, you spawn a pool of blood that increases the damage done to elite enemies by 150% and lasts 15 seconds.
- Added Stain of Sin Rank 3 upgrade: “You gain an additional Rift Progress Orb when you kill an elite pack.”
- Removed Stain of Sin Rank 3 upgrade: “The pool of blood now also freezes non-elite enemies.”
- Updated Stain of Sin Rank 3 negate elite affix power to include Wormhole and Electrified.
Dregs of Lies
- Updated Dregs of Lies base power: “You deal 25% less damage. Your pets deal 50% increased damage.”
- Added Dregs of Lies Rank 3 upgrade: “Each time your pet hits an enemy, your damage is increased by 1% for 5 seconds. This stacks up to 100 times. When you reach 100 stacks, the stacks quickly reset to 0.”
- Added Dregs of Lies Rank 3 upgrade: “Killing an elite enemy reduces all your active cooldowns by 5 seconds.”
- Removed Dregs of Lies Rank 3 upgrade: “Double the damage reduction enemies receive when you critically strike them.”
- Removed Dregs of Lies Rank 3 upgrade: “Each elite enemy slain with the damage reduction effect from this soul also reduces all your active cooldowns by 5 seconds.”
Remnant of Pail
- Fixed a bug with Remnant of Pain Rank 3 passability power that caused collision issues with Mystic Ally.
Essence of Anguish
- Updated Essence of Anguish base power: “Every time you deal poison damage to an enemy you increase your cooldown reduction and movement speed by 2.5% while your damage received is increased by 5% for 10 seconds. Max 10 stacks.”
- Fixed a bug that caused Essence of Anguish’s Rank 3 upgrade death blow effect to cause more damage than intended.
- Fixed a bug that caused Essence of Anguish’s Rank 3 upgrade death blow effect to not trigger consistently.
- Updated Essence of Anguish’s Rank 3 upgrade death blow effect to not synergize with Sever’s Legendary Power.
- Added a buff bar icon to track stacks of Essence of Anguish’s base effect.
- Updated the tooltip of Essence of Anguish’s Rank 3 death blow effect to clarify that only player attacks can trigger the effect.
- Updated Depth Diggers Legendary Power to work with all Primary skills.
- Remorseless: While both Wrath of the Berserker and Call of the Ancients are active, Hammer of the Ancients deals 600-800% increased damage.
Developer’s Note: We wanted to buff the Barbarian’s Hammer of the Ancients playstyle without putting the power into a specific set.
- Shukrani’s Triumph: Spirit Walk lasts until you attack 3 times or until an elite enemy is within 20 yards of you. Attacks while in the spirit realm deal 75-100% increased damage.
- Lakumba’s Ornament: Reduce all damage taken by 60% if your Soul Harvest stack is at least (1-3), and an additional 2% for each stack of Soul Harvest.
- Spider Queen’s Grasp: Corpse Spiders deals an additional 600-800% damage and releases a web on impact that Slows enemies by 80%.
- Brood of Araneae: Corpse Spiders deals an additional 75-100% damage, and each spider bite causes the target to take an additional 1% damage from Corpse Spiders for 5 seconds.
Spirit of Arachyr (2-piece bonus): Corpse Spiders now spawns with health and attacks twice as fast.
- Spirit of Arachyr (2-piece bonus): Summon a permanent Spider Queen connected to you by an infested thread. Enemies caught in the thread are infested. Corpse Spider attacks against infested enemies inflict the same damage to all infested enemies. The Spider Queen is commanded to move to where you cast your Corpse Spiders. Corpse Spiders now spawns with health.
Spirit of Arachyr (4-piece bonus): Summon a permanent Spider Queen who leaves behind webs that lasts for 15 seconds and Slows enemies. You take 75% reduced damage while in the web. The Spider Queen is commanded to move to where you cast your Corpse Spiders.
- Spirit of Arachyr (4-piece bonus): The Spider Queen now leaves behind webs that lasts for 15 seconds and Slows enemies. Infested enemies remain infested while on the web. You take 75% reduced damage while in the web and for 4 seconds after.
Developer’s Note: We’ve reworked Witch Doctor’s Spirit of Arachyr set, as well as several legendary Witch Doctor items. With these changes, we hope to infuse Spirit of Arachyr with more flavor and gameplay, as well as give Witch Doctors a much needed power increase.
- Corpse Spiders are no longer affected by crowd control effects.
- Updated Ring of Emptiness to benefit attacks from all non-Fetish pets.
- Updated the tooltip of Shukrani’s Triumph to better reflect functionality.
- Corpse Spiders can now benefit from Pet buffs.
Developer’s Note 11/12: We’ve added a new mechanic to the Spirit of Arachyr set which should give it a more active and thematic playstyle. Additionally, we’ve given Corpse Spiders the ability to benefit from several items that buff pets, which should give more power and gearing options..
- *Correction* Marauder’s Encasement (4-piece bonus): Sentries
deal 400% increased damage andcast Elemental Arrow, Chakram, Impale, Multishot, and Cluster Arrow when you do, as well as automatically cast your equipped Hatred spenders.
- Marauder’s Encasement (6-piece bonus): Your primary skills, Elemental Arrow, Chakram, Impale, Multishot, Cluster Arrow, Companions, Vengeance, and Sentries deal 12000% increased damage for every active Sentry.
- The Shadow’s Mantle (6-piece bonus): Impale deals an additional 75000% weapon damage to the first enemy hit, and 25000% to subsequent enemies.
- Bombardier’s Rucksack: You may have 2 additional Sentries. Cluster Arrow deals 150-200% increased damage.
Developer’s Note: We adjusted the Demon Hunter Embodiment of the Marauder set to give it some of its legacy functionality and shifted power back to the Sentries. Additionally, we buffed The Shadow’s Mantle set to make it more effective against multiple targets.
- Fixed a bug that caused Impale: Chemical Burn not to benefit from the Shadow’s Mantle 6-piece bonus.
Developer’s Note 11/12: We’ve added Cluster Arrow damage to Bombardier’s Rucksack, which should make Cluster Arrow builds with the reworked Embodiment of Marauder’s set more appealing.
- Bones of Rathma (6-piece bonus): Each permanent active minion increases the damage of Army of the Dead by 1750%, up to 31,500%.
Developer’s Note: The Necromancer’s Bones Rathma set redesign has not been as strong as we had initially hoped, so we’ve increased its power.
- Firebird’s Finery (2-piece bonus): Disintegrate Ignites enemies, causing them to take
1500%3000% weapon damage per second until they die. When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60-second cooldown.
- Firebird’s Finery (6-piece bonus): You gain
2500%5000% increased damage while Ignite is applied to a target. Hitting an Ignited enemy with a non-channeling fire spell deals Ignite damage multiplied by Combustion stacks. Pets cannot trigger this effect
Developer’s Note: The Wizard’s Firebird’s Finery was reborn in patch 2.7.0 and has been one of the strongest builds in the game for all activities since. It’s time to reduce the power of Firebird’s Finery to bring it more in line with other classes and builds.
Developer’s Note 11/12: Based on player feedback, we’re taking a different approach to nerfing Firebird’s Finery. Rather than having pets do the heavy lifting, we want to lean into the fantasy of the player being a brawling battle mage.
- Fixed a bug that prevented pets cast by the player from proccing Oculus Ring if it is equipped on a Follower.
- Fixed a bug that caused Momentum stacks to not always apply properly when using Calamity and The Ninth Cirri Satchel.
- Fixed a bug where Life per Second granted from Mantra of Healing isn’t being applied to the shield generated by Molten Wildebeest’s Gizzard.
- Fixed a bug where Mystic Ally: Earth Ally damage was not increased by The Crudest Boots.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Mystic Ally: Fire Ally active from attacking the Rift Guardian Perendi.
How to Participate
To participate in the public test, you must have a Diablo III game license attached to a Battle.net account in good standing (i.e. one that hasn’t been suspended or banned). In addition, you will also need to download and install the Blizzard Battle.net desktop app if you have not already done so.
Step 1: Restart the Battle.net desktop app.
Step 2: Navigate to the Diablo III tab on the left-hand menu.
Step 3: On the Diablo III screen, there is a drop-down menu right above the “Play” button (note that this may say “Install” if you do not have Diablo III currently installed). Select “PTR: Diablo III” from this drop-down menu before proceeding.
Step 4: Click Install to begin the installation process.
Your PTR account will be created automatically if you do not already have one. The PTR is available in all supported languages, and accounts from all regions are eligible to participate. For additional assistance with installing and launching the PTR, click here.
PTR Character Copy
The option to copy your existing Diablo III characters from your live account to the PTR will be available and can be done directly through the PTR client. However, only one region per account can be copied at a time. So, if you choose to copy characters from your account in a different region, any previously copied PTR characters will be lost.
Step 1: Log into the live game and then log out.
Step 2: Log into PTR client and create a level 1 character. After you’re done, return to the main character screen.
Step 3: Click on the “PTR Copy” button located in the upper right-hand corner. (The PTR Copy button will not appear in-game until you have created a new level 1 character.)
Step 4: Select your region.
Step 5: Click “Copy.” This will copy all characters on your account from the selected region.
Step 6: You will be disconnected from the PTR client.
Step 7: Log back in. Your copied characters will be available for play.
Please note that you can only copy characters from one gameplay region at a time. If you choose to copy characters from a different region, any previously copied PTR characters will be lost. In addition, you can only copy characters over to your PTR account once every 24 hours. Attempting to copy characters before this cooldown is up will result in an error.
As this is a test server, please anticipate uneven game performance, and note that restarts and downtime may occur without warning. Thank you, and we look forward to your feedback!